So, a little while ago now the wonderful Niki over at https://therichnessofasimplelife.wordpress.com/ nominated me for my first blog award! I’ve been rather lax in getting this sorted, so I must apologise! Another kind soul and fellow blogger over at https://solitaryhavenblog.wordpress.com/about/ nominated me as well, and I will get to those questions as soon as I can 🙂
Niki’s questions and my answers are as follows:
5 writing/blog related questions-
- What did you write before you started blogging? (Journal, short stories, nothing…)
Before I started blogging I was working on a novel, which I recently shelved because I realised that it was far too complicated for me at the stage of writing I was at. I’ll get back to it one day. Before then, I used to write a lot when I was a child, although I often didn’t complete everything that I started! Those were always novel ideas with farfetched, exciting plots which were invariably influenced by whatever I happened to be reading at the time.
- Who did you first share your blog with?
Initially it was friends and family who read my blog before a few kind bloggers noticed my work and began sharing it around.
- Who do you hope reads your blog most or who do you hope doesn’t? (Be sure to specify which you answer!;)
I hope that other writers will read my blog because it is their approval which I so desperately seek and their criticisms which I am so mortally afraid of! I hope lots of people read my blog, I wouldn’t want anyone to avoid it!
- How long do you typically spend creating a post from start to publish?
Typically I write stories which sit at around the 2000 word margin. I spend about a week writing it and another week editing before I put it online. Well, that was how it went before I took part in the April A-Z Challenge! Now I know that I can get stories written faster, so who knows how that will change in the future? I’m hoping to have a least one story written per week.
- Do you secretly hope for a post to go viral? Why or why not?
I suppose that would be an incredible rush to achieve a viral post, but I’m not sure if I’d want it to happen. It’d just be another way to earn the proverbial “15 Minutes of Fame”. I doubt much would come of it and I think I’d prefer getting exposure the old fashioned way.
5 random questions-
- What piece of advice would you give your younger self?
Keep on writing, mate! It’s good for the soul! Also, tell the guys not to buy you vodka shots on your 20th birthday…you’re welcome.
- What takes smell takes you straight back to your childhood?
This is going to sound a bit disgusting, but the smell of maggots takes me back. Before you start thinking that I had some warped childhood rampant with rotten food, I should explain that it was when my dad would occasionally take myself and my brothers fishing. He would often use maggots as live bait, and now the smell reminds me of those times. It’s still a bloody disgusting smell, though!
- If you had to move today, no questions asked to another country, which would it be and why?
I’d love to live in Canada. During my final year at university I read up a bit on their history and it fascinated me. I’d love to see the beautiful snow-covered forests and the bustling cities, and sample the famous Canadian hospitality! I hear they’re very friendly oot there, eh?
- If you could live in any time period (other than the present) what would it be and why?
I think that the early 1900s would have been an exciting time to live in. It wouldn’t’ve been a time of peace, as Britain was involved in the atrocious Boer Wars in South Africa and many other ridiculous disputes over its Empire, but it certainly would have been exciting. The Suffragette and Suffragist movements were making great strides for women in political thought, and there was even an Olympic Games held in London in 1908! In all, that decade probably would have been an interesting one to be alive in.
- If a movie were to be made about your life, what would it be called and who would play you in the movie?
Ha! Oh, I don’t know…I think everybody would like someone handsome and butch to play them, wouldn’t they? I often joke with my partner that I look like Gerard Butler in a suit…which promptly earns a hilarious comeback about how ridiculous that notion is! I suppose Mackenzie Crook would probably be a good choice…he’s skinny, a bit nerdy-looking and could probably pull off the aspiring-novelist thing. I would like to say that I think I’m better-looking than he is, although some might disagree! Sorry, Mackenzie…
As for the title…I don’t know, my life hasn’t been THAT exciting! It’d probably end up being something tame like History of Fiction Addict, I suppose. Yes, I know that’s dull, but I’m not very imaginative when put on the spot!
Here are my 10 nominees. I understand not everyone is into the awards, so no pressure. Apologies if you have already been nominated/accepted the award, but it’s all in the name of fun and friendliness, right? If you are so inclined, please see the rules of engagement below the nominee section. Listed in no particular order as they are all fantastic, I invite you to check out the following blogs:
https://crackerberries.wordpress.com/. A lovely blog with some fun writing which I discovered during the A-Z Challenge.
https://fictionisfood.wordpress.com/ Gary writes some engaging and often chilling short stories on his blog, so I urge you to check them out right now!
https://angelicakidd.wordpress.com/ Angelica writes some heart-achingly honest posts as well as some fantastic stories on her blog. PLease check her out.
https://rantingredhead.com/ Conor is a disgruntled, ginger-haired student whom I know and love dearly. He can bloody rant, let me tell you! Definitely worth a look.
https://sarahjaynenantais.com/ Sarah writes some brilliant short stories set within her TAK universe, which I am enjoying immensely. Some great ‘Mindful Musings’ on there, too!
https://startyourfiction.wordpress.com/about/ Jon writes some great pieces of flash fiction as well as honest, inspiring posts about being a writer.
https://katemcclelland01.wordpress.com/ Kate has been following me almost from Day One and she is an ever-reliable Re-blogger. She also has some wonderful stories and poetry of her own hidden away in her blog. Well worth seeking them out!
https://annalevensonpsy.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/i-am-anna/ Anna writes some amazing posts about being confident in herself, her sexuality and her life in general. She had some great posts throughout the April A-Z Challenge, but be wary of the Adult content!
https://homehugshuskies.wordpress.com/ Lindsay writes inspiring posts about her journey as a mother. She replies to comments and is an all-round lovely lady so please check her out.
https://theblogofchristineb.wordpress.com/ Christine is, as her blog will tell you, an interesting person. Enough said. Go check her out!
Here are my questions for these lovely bloggy people:
- What prompted you to begin writing a blog?
- What would you like your blog to achieve in the next year?
- Did you have any inclination towards writing before you started blogging?
- What is your blog about? Give me your best pitch!
- What are your favourite types of books to read?
- What are your favourite kind of movies to watch?
- What are your favourite kind of blogs to follow?
- Do you have any blog achievements so far which you are especially proud of?
- What kind of people do you hope to interact with via your blog?
- What does blogging mean to you?
Rules of Engagement should my nominees choose to participate-
(Please link back or let me know in the comments if you participate so I can check out your post!)
Liebster Award Rules:
- Thank your nominator- in this case, Adam over at https://adamdixonfiction.com/
- Share the award on your blog (save my image, or find one online, there are plenty!)
- Answer the 10 questions Adam asked you
- Ask 10 questions to 10 new nominees who have less than 300 followers (if I nominated you and you have more, please don’t be offended, not all follower counters are easy to find)
- Notify your nominees
Phew, that took some doing! Thanks again, Niki! I hope you liked my answers and best of luck with your own blog!